1/2 Marathon finished barely- now a back injury

Hey there folks, I have been slow to posting anything lately because I have kind of been depressed. If you follow me you know I have struggled with running, weight lifting, and injuries. I do good for awhile and think things are going good and I feel great until something happens to throw me back down. This time I’m down again, but this time it’s affecting work and my life. So here’s what’s happened over the last month.

So I ran that 20K on August 27th. I finished in 2:40. Not bad, for a first, considering my longest training run was 6 miles. It was a great precurser to the half marathon I was about to run in a couple of weeks. Well, my quads and knees took longer than I suspected to recover. It was 6 days before I could run again. I ran 3.5 slow miles,  then 4 days later I was able to run 6.4 miles. then on Sept. 10th I ran 3.o miles. On the last mile I felt a very sharp pain in my left calf. It freakin hurt bad, but stupid me kept running on it so I could get in my 3 miles. Well that pain never got better, it got worse. Great! So, I iced, I compressed, I massaged, I rested. But it wasn’t enough.


September 17th AirForce Half Marathon was here. The day I had been dreaming of and working hard towards.  But my calf was still sore and I hadn’t trained near enough and I was scared and worried. I didn’t know if I’d be able to finish. But I wasn’t going to not do it. No way in HELL was I gonna not do it. And so I went, It was so crowded, so many people, so much anxiety. The gun went off as I was still putting on my compression socks and shoes. But it didn’t matter there were so many people that it was backed up pretty far from the start.Anyways, Here I go. Slow to start, walking, jogging, ouch shit, calf….limp, okay limp jog. okay I can do this, it hurts, but as long as i don’t bounce on it too much, I think I can tolerate it. So that’s how it went, walk, limp-jog.for 13.1 miles. I was so pissed, pissed at the pain, but I think that’s what kept me going. And I finished! It hurt like HELL but I finished. Here’s the pic to prove it.


Yeah that’s me on the right smiling through the pain! I finished in 2:50. Once again, it took some time to recover. About a week, this time.

So, I start lifting weights again, even started back up with deadlifts and a few squats. I was starting to feel pretty good. I was ready to start running again. I felt good for about a week.

September 27th, I’m at work, doing my normal nurse duties, and then, at about 1545, I was helping to turn a patient in the bed. I rember pulling her hips toward me, she was comatose and a little heavier than I expected. When I Let her roll back off her side, I tried straightening up but it felt like a someone just stabbed me in the back with a knife.Not kidding!!


Then every step I took after that…stab….stab…stab! I couldn’t straighten my back without extreme pain. All I could think was, shit, now I’ve really done it. When the pain wouldn’t quit and others started noticing, there was no going back, and to the ER in a wheelchair I went, feeling like a complete idiot. Embarressed, I was, scared was I. Anyways, It turns out I sprained my lumbar spine…real good. What the hell…

So for the last week, I’ve been icing, resting, therapy, resting, and this is something that I am not used to. I am used to working 50-60 hours a week, working out, or working on the house, always busy. Resting like this was killing me. On day 4, I was seriously getting depressed…already. I didn’t want to get out of bed, I couldn’t see any reason to. I couldn’t do another day of doing nothing but watching TV and reading Facebook all day, and being in pain and unable to get into comfortable position. Sure, my husband was great and thought brownies and food would help. But it just made me more depressed. I’m gonna get fat now for sure, I thought. Then on Monday, I went to therapy and I was starting to feel a little better. I decided I was done laying around, atleast all day anyways. Tuesday was even better and I even went to the store. I tried to keep busy until 1500. then I had to lay down.

So today, was not too bad this morning, went to therapy and doctors, and I get to go back to work tomorrow, but with restrictions…No patient care whatsoever. Sedentary work only…ugggh. I don’t know how long this will go on for but, once again, I’m down, no weights, no running. So, I will stretch ofen and spend time on the recumbant bike but otherwise not much. My diet has to be low cal. high protein, so to not gain weight and try to keep some muscle. Hopefully, I’ll be able to do strengthening exersices soon. But it can’t be soon enough.

I’m trying to keep my head up, not let it get me down emotionally, but I can’t say that it doesn’t suck. I have to think that this happened for a reason, like maybe I am trying to hard or not hard enough to be fit and strong. I don’t know..I do know that I will not quit. I will be back to it as soon as I am allowed and able.Plus, I already signed up for a pumkin 5K on 10/29, so I gotta keep going. And thats all for now. I’ll let ya know how it goes.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s